Fullstack Engineers will work across the backend (Ruby on Rails), and frontend (Vue.js) parts of our application. Specialties may require experience in different technologies. Due to the nature of our tech stack, the volume and complexity of work is weighted more strongly towards backend, rather than frontend.
- Develop features and improvements to the GitLab product in a secure, well-tested, and performant way
- Analyze and interpret highly complex data to arrive at actionable recommendations
- Collaborate with Product Management and other stakeholders within Engineering (e.g. UX) to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance
- Solve technical problems of moderate scope and complexity.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around specific projects and community contributions.
- Confidently ship small features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
- Participate in Tier 2 or Tier 3 weekday and weekend and occasional night on-call rotations to assist troubleshooting product operations, security operations, and urgent engineering issues.
- Senior Fullstack Engineers improve the engineering projects at GitLab as a project maintainer. For more information regarding timelines and exceptions, see this page.
- Staff Fullstack Engineer only - Participate in the Incident Management on-call rotation to help ensure the availability goals for GitLab.com are met, by working with reliability engineers and development team members.
- Professional experience with Ruby and Rails
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Ability to use GitLab
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization
- Experience working with modern frontend frameworks (eg. React, Vue.js, Angular)
- Experience in a peak performance organization, preferably a tech startup
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor
- Product company experience
- Experience working with a remote team
- Enterprise software company experience
- Developer platform/tool industry experience
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about/experienced with open source and developer tools
Fullstack Engineer (Handbook)
- Extends the responsibilities and requirements of the Senior or Staff level Fullstack Engineer
- Reports into a team member of the Strategy and Operations Team, an organization that rolls into the CEO
- Perform enhancements to the look-and-feel of the published handbooks
- Help facilitate the support process for Content Sites by answering team member questions and triaging/responding to issues
- Coordinate with various stakeholders regarding site content or structure changes, including helping mediate potential - ownership issues encountered when refactoring or splitting up existing shared code/content/infrastructure
- Maintain and improve the CI/CD pipelines, build processes, and review environments
- Improve content-authoring experience and tooling
- Perform and/or coordinate/delegate resolution of any other content sites issues related to infrastructure, code, - architecture, projects, security, CI/CD, builds, deployments, upgrades, performance, scalability, metrics, monitoring, etc
- Support dogfooding of GitLab features on Content Sites and related infrastructure
Hiring Process for Handbook Specialty
Candidates for this speciality can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 25 minute screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 50 minute high-level technical and fit interview with the Hiring Manager on the Strategy and Operations team
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 90 minute technical interview with one of our Fullstack Engineers or Engineering Managers
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 25 minute interview with one of our Engineering Managers
- Finally, candidates will be invited to schedule a 50 minute interviews with the Chief of Staff to the CEO
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with our Global Recruiters
Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 90 minute technical interview with one of our Backend Engineers
Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 90 minute technical interview with one of our Frontend Engineers
Next, candidates will be invited to schedule one or more 45 minute interviews with an Engineering Hiring Manager
Next, candidates may be invited to schedule a 60 minute behavioral interview with a Senior Manager or Director of Engineering
Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
For more details on the engineering career ladders, please review the engineering career development handbook page.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity, Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Family and Friends days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.