Senior Director, Engineering
Directors in Engineering at GitLab see their team as their product. While they are technically credible and know the details of what engineers work on, their time is spent safeguarding their team’s health, hiring a world-class team, and putting them in the best position to succeed. They own the delivery of product commitments and are always looking to improve productivity. They must also coordinate across departments to accomplish collaborative goals. Senior Directors will often be given ambiguous ill-defined problems with the implicit goal of gaining clarity and driving execution/direction. Senior Directors are responsible for mentoring and managing other leaders in the organization and generally have Senior Managers or Directors reporting to them.
- Prioritization of hiring efforts to focus on areas of most need and quickly recruit top engineering talent
- Motivate and communicate across multiple levels of their department
- Develop strategies and new initiatives with their team to advance on an organizational and technical level both the department, the company and the product
- Have successful peer partnerships with other department leaders in Engineering, and cross-functionally (Product Management, sales, marketing, alliances, etc)
- Provide a consistent/successful interface between Engineering Development and Product Management
- Develop leadership skills within the organization and mentor other leaders
- Development, measurement, and management of key metrics for group’s performance
- Drive high throughput and all connected key metrics on a strategic level
- Standardize the development process where needed, allow local differences where advantageous
- Ability to use GitLab
- Excellent communication skills
- Expert hiring manager skills and experience
- A well developed people management philosophy for managers and engineers
- Experience managing managers, senior managers, or directors
- Agile project management skills
- Commitment to understand, communicate and improve the quality of multiple teams
- Demonstrate longevity at at least one recent job
- Understanding of how to be successfully manage at a remote-only company
- Humble, servant leader
The Senior Director, Development is a grade 11.
- Hiring Actual vs. Plan
- Team/Group MR Rate
- Team/Group Review To Merge Time (RTMT)
- Handbook Update Frequency
Candidates for this position can generally expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Note that as candidates indicate preference or aptitude for one or more specialties, the hiring process will be adjusted to suit. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with one of our Technical Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 60 minute first interview with a VP of Development
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute second interview with a Director, Engineering
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute third interview with another member of the Engineering team
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute fourth interview with a member of the Product team
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute fifth interview with the Chief Technology Officer
- Finally, candidates may be asked to schedule a 50 minute final interview with our CEO
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity, Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Family and Friends days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.