Senior Distinguished Engineer
Senior Distinguished Engineer Roles at GitLab
Senior Distinguished Engineers are recognized experts in multiple technology domains relevant to GitLab, and represent the senior technical leadership within their organization and throughout the company at large. They are responsible for helping shape the future direction of the organization, assisting management establish strategic roadmaps, driving priorities to meet objectives, and make scalable and sustainable architectural decisions of strategic projects. They also have a strong track record of growing and influencing others, working with all levels of senior and executive leadership, and fostering the psychological safety and happiness of members of their team. This role reports to Senior Director, Development or Director, Development of their sub-department.
The Senior Distinguished Engineer is a grade 11.
- Extends that of the Distinguished Engineer requirements
Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- The Senior Distinguished Engineer role acts as the individual equivalent of a Senior Director, Engineering
- Extends that of the Distinguished Engineer responsibilities
- At this level the Senior Distinguished Engineer’s minimal sphere of influence is across multiple sub-departments if not across their entire department
- Generate technical and process improvements
- Drive innovation within Engineering
- Identifies the balance between the immediate and long term impact of technical direction and guides the organisation to execution in this balance
- Be a technical, architectural, and career development mentor for other backend engineers
- Author architecture documents for epics, coordinate the interaction between architectural directions across the engineering organization
For more details on the engineering career ladders, please review the engineering career development handbook page.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity, Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Family and Friends days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.