Chief Marketing Officer (CMO)
About the Position
The CMO will report to the CEO and will play a vital leadership role in ensuring rapid and sustainable growth in demand to further drive sales growth. The CMO will oversee our overall marketing strategy across all marketing initiatives, acquisition channels, and distribution channels. The CMO will manage a growing global team of directors for sales development, demand generation including field marketing, product marketing, outreach to developers and contributions, corporate marketing and public relations. The goal is to grow awareness for GitLab as the single application for the entire DevOps lifecycle and to generate the demand we need to keep doubling our incremental annual contract value year over year. Qualified candidates will be experienced technology marketing leaders in subscription-based enterprise software, demand generation, and online marketing, with a track record of executing successful marketing strategies.
The Marketing department consists of the following teams:
- Developer Relations
- Community Advocacy
- Community Programs
- Corporate Marketing
- Corporate Events
- Public Relations
- Field Marketing
- Marketing Operations
- Marketing Program Management
- Online Growth
- Product Marketing
- Analyst Relations
- Sales Enablement
- Product Marketing
- Partner Marketing
- Sales Development
See the marketing handbook for details.
- Develop a high performing team (network, hire, assess, mentor, grow, and offboard talent).
- Contribute to all functions and make the rest of the E-Group better.
- Set a great creative strategy, recruit, retain, inspire, and direct creatives.
- Create a dynamic outbound channel mix allocation (double down and back off based on data).
- Lead and encourage experimentation (try and deprecate or elevate quickly).
- Encourage simplification and prioritization (80% of budget on a few core plays).
- Proactively test new messaging with potential users and buyers to validate our approach.
- Manage processes and talent to ensure data quality, availability, and interpretation.
- Lead data driven decision making. Demonstrate the ability to set the right dimensions for goals.
- Successfully drive demand generation (GitLab SDRs are in marketing).
- Focus on sales representatives success (% sales reps with adequate leads instead of number of sales leads).
- Increase channel sales through hyper clouds and other partnerships.
- Contribute to improve sales ramp time (territory warmup, golden sales deck).
- Have ability to build a strong case for and convince other functions to make go-to-market and roadmap changes.
- Can translate your leadership into increased revenue, brand halo, and developer relations.
- Proactively identify and develop longer-term marketing and communications strategies and initiatives that will result in increased visibility and profitable growth.
- Articulate compelling value propositions and drive adoption for GitLab offerings in various market segments and geographical areas.
- Drive strategy and execution for brand awareness campaigns across all digital and offline channels.
- Design and implement high-impact programs that are optimized to deliver results across the marketing and sales funnel, while hitting target metrics, Objectives and Key Results (OKR’s) and marketing ROI.
- Manage our marketing budget and forecast.
- Manage content development and position GitLab as the single application for entire DevOps lifecycle through thought leadership, white papers, infographics, blog posts, social media, webinars and by being an evangelist for our software and company.
- Contribute to the creation of a comprehensive global marketing plan, digital marketing (web, SEO/SEM), social media-focused marketing, analyst relations, demand generation, events, and branding.
- 15+ years of enterprise software experience.
- Played a key role in a hypergrowth company.
- Concise in communications.
- Knowledge on how to guide a brand’s reputation and expand demand generation.
- Experience in building, executing and measuring data-driven marketing programs across online and traditional channels.
- Experience in the use of analytics tools and ROI metrics.
- Deep experience in leadership within a global technology sector with a proven track record in growing market share.
- Leadership in multi-segment marketing (enterprise, mid-market, SMB).
- Understanding of engineer sensitivities.
- Category leadership experience.
- DevOps software experience.
- Experience with wider community engagement.
- BA or BS degree in Marketing, Business or related field.
- Excellent strategic and analytical skills combined with the creativity to produce innovative breakthrough value propositions and businesses for the company.
- Ability to excel in leadership at GitLab.
- Ability to use GitLab.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity, Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Family and Friends days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.