Director of Customer Success Operations
The Director of Customer Success Operations Job Family is responsible for defining, leading, and tracking strategic and operational programs and initiatives to improve GitLab’s ability to effectively and efficiently deliver to customer and GitLab objectives. The Customer Operations Team works cross-functionally orchestrating results with Customer Success, Sales, Marketing, Product and Engineering, Support, People Operations, and Finance.
Director of Customer Success Operations
The Director of Customer Success Operations reports to the Sr. Director, Customer Success Operations.
The Director Customer Success Operations is a grade 10
- Define, lead, and track strategic and operational programs to successful completion
- Develop and deliver GTM initiatives to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of sales and adoption capabilities for GitLab prospects and customer, including:
- Customer journey development
- Lifecycle management processes and playbooks
- Customer Health Scoring
- Go-to-market (GTM) and/or adoption campaigns, including collaboration with Marketing, Product / Growth, Data Teams, and Sales * Operations
- Digital journey development, content creation and curation, and metrics
- Processes and playbooks for Solution Architect and Customer Success Manager
- Internal or customer-related programs and initiatives
- Own partnership with Product, bringing “voice of customer” to Product teams, including interlock, reporting, metrics, and facilitating customer engagement (e.g., surveys, interviews, etc.)
- Leverage data and analytics to develop, lead, and measure results for GTM sales and adoption-related initiatives, programs, and campaigns
- Define, develop, and continuously improve GitLab’s renewal process through:
- Renewal segmentation frameworks for efficient management
- Effective field-tested customer engagement strategies
- Demonstrated progressive experience with operations or related experience with a technical SaaS or subscription software service
- Demonstrated progressive customer success experience leading field teams (Customer Success Managers, Account Management, Professional Services, Solution Architects) and/or operations
- Experience with software development tools, practices, and methodologies is a plus
- Experienced leading cross-functional initiatives in mid-sized or large organizations (i.e., 1000+ employees)
- Experience with defining and leading digital engagement strategies (i.e., digital journey creation, content marketing, etc.)
- Management experience with a team of at least 5 team members
- Experience with digital engagement approaches and methods preferred (i.e., Digital Customer Success / “tech touch,” Digital Marketing)
- Strong verbal and written skills with a strong ability to articulate and communicate strategies and plans
- Demonstrated success with cross-functional coordination, including planning, execution tracking, decision making, and OKR management
- Ability to use GitLab
- Ability to learn GitLab as part of the role
- You share our values and work in accordance with those values
- Leadership at GitLab
Senior Director of Customer Success Operations
The Senior Director of Customer Success reports to the VP of Revenue Operations.
Senior Director of Customer Success Operations Job Grade
The Senior Director of Customer Success Operations is a job grade level 11.
Senior Director of Customer Success Operations Responsibilities
- Extends that of the Director of Customer Success Operations responsibilities
- Define and deliver strategies and plans that enhance and integrate into GitLab’s Go-To-Market strategies and plans, including Sales, Marketing, Product, Growth, Operations, Channel/Alliance, and Data Teams
- Build market-specific strategies and plans leveraging based on industry best practices (i.e., pre-sales, professional services, customer success management, renewals, data management) to improve growth efficiency and net retention
- Provide insights on program and recommendations to increase sales efficency
Senior Director of Customer Success Operations Requirements
- Exends that of the Director of Customer Success Operations requirements
- Demonstrated progressive experience leading managers of customer success operations teams in a SaaS or subscription enterprise software company
- Develops and hires a diverse team; promotes a positive team culture aligned to our values
- Bookings and revenue growth as measured by ARR, including gross renewal, expansion, and net retention
- Key customer success measures (e.g., time-to-value, product adoption / health score, expansion win rates, etc.). A number of these measures need to evolve to be developed.
The next step for the Director of Customer Operations is a Senior Director level that is yet to be defined.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with one of our Global Recruiters.
- Interviews will be then setup with:
- Hiring manager, Vice President of Customer Success
- Head of Global Technical Account Management
- Director or Vice President of Sales Operations
- Stakeholder team member (i.e., Product, Marketing, Customer Success, etc.)
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity, Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Family and Friends days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.