Director of Compliance
The Director of Compliance reports to the Senior Director of Legal, Corporate.
The Director of Compliance is a Grade 10.
- Architect and manage GitLab’s full suite of global compliance programs including, but not limited to, organizational strategies, policies and practices
- Advise E-Group and other key stakeholders including the GitLab Board of Directors on compliance matters including procedures and practices regarding anti-bribery and anti-corruption, contracts, confidentiality, conflicts of interest, privacy and security and other matters
- Promote and lead team member enablement and education to enable compliance with laws, rules, regulations, internal policies and procedures; facilitate company-wide proactive communication to ensure a culture of compliance at GitLab
- Design and implement monitoring frameworks to identify, report and mitigate compliance risks; conduct periodic risk assessments and develop and implement a work plan to address risk
- Build and retain a global compliance team and ensure appropriate and cooperative allocation of responsibilities
- 8+ years of compliance experience, including program creation, implementation, and enablement
- Effective collaborator who embraces iteration in order to innovate, drive, and scale best-in-class compliance programs and policies, drive strategy with stakeholders from multiple functions, and anticipate evolving risk in a global market
- Deep knowledge and proven track record of success with ranging compliance matters
- Outstanding cross-functional partnership skills, with a confirmed ability to identify, initiate and lead efforts with both internal and external teams
- Effective communicator with experience communicating at the boardroom level
- Ownership mindset, equally comfortable operating at the micro and macro levels with the innate ability to know which level is needed at what time as well as appropriate sense of urgency
- Experience with establishing and managing an operating budget
- Background with building efficiency for scale, and proven ability to iterate and learn things quickly
- An effective communicator with the ability to use “plain language”, escalate, coordinate, provide feedback, and ask for help
- Strong operational mindset with ability to prioritize projects and demands
- Embrace GitLab Values of Collaboration, Results, Efficiency, Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging, Iteration, and Transparency
- Performance indicators will be set by the incoming Director of Compliance, upon joining GitLab.
The next step in the VP of Legal job family is not yet defined
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-minute screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with the hiring manager
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with our Chief Legal Officer
- Then selected candidates will be invited to schedule with additional team members of the legal and corporate affairs department
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule interviews with directors and/or executives in relevant functional areas
- Finally, candidates may be required to meet with the CEO.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity, Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Family and Friends days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.