Technical Instructional Designer
The Technical Instructional Designer is responsible for designing and developing new, engaging, and effective learning solutions and instructional experiences for GitLab customers, partners, and/or sales & customer success professionals that help these audiences achieve desired learning outcomes.
- Design and develop experiential learning solutions that support adult learning best practices, address needs identified in a job/task analysis, drive behavior change, and improve performance of GitLab customers, partners, and/or sales teams
- Follow GitLab branding guidelines and standards to ensure content is professional and consistent with corporate look and feel for external audiences
- Create and curate customer learning content using the latest technology and innovative techniques (especially via but not limited to scalable online delivery)
- Build and maintain valued relationships with key stakeholders and external vendors
- Design interactive courseware and video using adult learning theory that appeals to various learning styles and international audiences
- Utilize various modern authoring tools to rapidly build enjoyable, positive learning experiences that are interactive, effective and technically functional
- Develop instructionally sound knowledge, skill, and job performance-based assessments
- Evaluate the business impact of learning programs through the use of learning and performance metrics
- Gain a working knowledge of the various functional and technological product areas of GitLab
- Closely partner and collaborate with other members of the Field Enablement team to continuously improve existing learning programs based on the latest research in adult education
- Meet all milestones and final deliverables by deadlines; when delays do occur, work with the team to estimate, monitor, adjust, and proactively communicate revised deadlines as needed
- Be a mentor to sales enablement program managers, trainers, and business partners on best practices in instructional design and enablement solutions
- Take on additional projects and responsibilities as needed
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s Degree in Instructional Development, Training Education/Communication is preferred
- Demonstrated progressive related work experience in B2B SaaS customer, partner, and/or sales training instructional design (or equivalent combination of transferable experience and education)
- Deep experience designing and developing learning programs across delivery mediums and content types (mobile learning, e-learning, video, gamification, virtual learning, live simulation, and live classroom)
- Proven experience designing and developing scalable, engaging, online training is a must
- Demonstrated experience working with multiple industry recognized instructional design models preferred
- Must have the ability to work in an ever-changing, project-driven environment with a strong design sensibility when creating all customer, partner, and sales training and enablement instructional materials
- Strong oral and written communication skills and diverse experience working with internal customers and stakeholders in both live and virtual environments
- Proven ability to clearly articulate complex concepts in simple terms is essential
- Excellent team player
- Must be detail oriented and have strong project management skills needing minimal supervision
- Experience with a wide range of modern elearning authoring tools (e.g. recent versions of Adobe Captivate, Articulate 360 Suite, Go Animate, Elucidat, etc.)
- Working knowledge and application experience using reveal.js, Articulate 360, Adobe Creative Suite (Premiere, Captivate, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop), and other industry benchmark applications and online multimedia authoring tools
- HTML5, xAPI, mobile learning, and adaptive learning experience desired
- Experience working with a variety of Learning Management and Learning Experience Systems and various virtual meeting management tools such as Zoom is a plus
- Familiarity with statically generated websites are preferred, as we take a handbook-first approach to Field and Customer Enablement
- Knowledge of the software development life cycle, DevOps, and/or open source software is preferred
- Ability to use GitLab
Technical Instructional Designer (Intermediate)
The Technical Instructional Designer (Intermediate) reports to the Senior Manager of Education Curriculum Development.
The Technical Instructional Designer (Intermediate) is a grade 6.
- Successfully accomplishes responsibilities with minimal direction or oversight
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines and execute on projects with positive feedback from stakeholders
Senior Technical Instructional Designer
The Senior Technical Instructional Designer reports to the Senior Manager of Education Curriculum Development.
The Senior Technical Instructional Designer is a grade 7.
- extends the Technical Instructional Designer (Intermediate) responsibilities
- Works quickly and iteratively on projects with very limited direction from others
- Has extensive knowledge of LMS platforms and interactive demo platforms
- Proven experience designing engaging and effective learning solutions for B2B enterprise sales professionals
- Viewed as a subject matter expert and trusted advisor by key stakeholders
- Innovates and continually improves the delivery of world-class learning solutions
- Regularly shares best practices and provides constructive coaching and feedback to other members of the team
- extends the Technical Instructional Designer (Intermediate) requirements
- Demonstrated progressive experience in an instructional designer role, preferably with expertise in DevOps and/or Open Source
- Self-manages workload to meet deadlines and prioritize accordingly
- Learner satisfaction scores
- Number and percentage of on-time, on-budget learning solutions delivered
- Additional performance indicators to be determined
The next steps for the Technical Instructional Designer Job Family would be to move to the Education Services Job Family.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Videoconference (or phone) screen interview with a GitLab Talent Acquisition team member
- Videoconference interviews with 2-3 additional GitLab team members
- Final videoconference interviews with the Director, Professional Services Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity, Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Family and Friends days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.