Senior Director of Public Policy
An overview of this role
The Senior Director of Public Policy will report to the GitLab Chief Legal Officer and help establish and direct policies, corporate strategies and objectives involving local, state, and federal/national government affairs. As part of this role, the Senior Director of Public Policy will lead in the analysis of proposed legislation and treaty’s globally, as well as determine potential impact(s) on GitLab and develop strategy and appropriate responses accordingly.
The Senior Director of Public Policy is a grade 11.
What you’ll do
- Develop GitLab’s public policy program and approach to engagement with US and European lawmakers, regulatory authorities, governments, councils and commissions. Monitor and report on key developments in tech regulation and policy across all jurisdictions, including the United States and EU.
- Advise senior leaders of the implications of emerging technology policy and regulatory proposals. Partner with leadership and other stakeholders across GitLab to address policy-related matters, including the implications of emerging technology trends, proposed legislation and regulatory proposals.
- Collaborate with teams across GitLab to educate and influence emerging regulatory and policy proposals on topics such as: artificial intelligence, open source software, sustainability, privacy and security.
- Lead the analysis of proposed legislative actions and the development of responses on behalf of GitLab, including responses to inquiries or calls for submissions from legislative bodies or government regulators.
What you’ll bring
- Minimum 12+ years of public policy and/or government affairs experience, in-house experience preferred.
- Proven experience with direct lobbying and ability to conceive and execute policy campaigns, both in the United States and other jurisdictions including the European Union.
- Strong familiarity with emerging technology public policy trends in the areas of cybersecurity, privacy, antitrust/competition and law enforcement access.
- The ability to articulate complex regulatory and policy matters into easily understood language.
- Adept ability to work with other industry representatives to build colations and form strategic relationships.
- A keen understanding of policy and legislative processes and dynamics within the U.S. Government and Congress; and the operation of the European Union (Parliament, Council and Commission).
- An ownership mindset of the relevant area(s) of subject matter expertise.
- Capable of building strong relationships cross functionally at all levels across GitLab.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity, Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Family and Friends days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.