Cloud Native Engineer
Cloud Native Engineers at GitLab work with our Distribution team to create and maintain a Cloud Native GitLab deployment, along with all associated upgrade and release management methods.
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes in production use cases
- Chef experience (writing complex cookbooks from scratch, custom providers, custom resources, etc.)
- Extensive Linux experience, comfortable between Debian and RHEL based systems
- Running applications at scale in Kubernetes
- Transforming existing applications to cloud native oriented applications
- Designing, building and packaging cloud native applications
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
- English written and verbal communication skills
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Ability to use GitLab
- Deploying, building, and configuring deployment methods of GitLab for Kubernetes
- Promoting best practices for development and deployment in a Cloud Native environment
- Keep current with new technologies and developments in the Cloud Native space
- Constantly improve product quality, security, and performance
- Write good code
- Catch bugs and style issues in code reviews
- Ship small features independently
Level progression for Cloud Native Engineers follows the pattern described for our Developer roles.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Qualified candidates receive a short questionnaire from our Recruiting team
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30min screening call with our Recruiting team
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a first 45 minute behavioral interview with the hiring manager
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a technical interview with a team manager
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule an interview with Director of Backend
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule an additional interview with VP of Engineering
- Finally, candidates may be asked to interview with the CEO
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email
As always, the interviews and screening call will be conducted via a video call. See more details about our hiring process on the hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity, Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Family and Friends days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.