General Manager, Meltano
The general manager of Meltano is responsible for building a great product, a great user base and community, and a great team for the first open source platform for data integration and transformation (ELT).
Meltano is a separate company to GitLab, but for the purposes of Total Rewards, the General Manager of Meltano maps to a grade 10 in the GitLab grading structure.
- Drive the development of Meltano, an open source convention-over-configuration product that initially focuses on data engineering and ELT, but may eventually expand to also cover analytics, business intelligence, and data science.
- Build a community of Meltano users that will guide future features.
- Build a community of developers that contribute code and documentation to Meltano and its plugins.
- Build a community of evangelists that talk about Meltano, share best practices and drive adoption.
- Manage Meltano website, documentation, and social channels and make sure everything is public by default.
- Communicate effectively both internally and externally to meet customer needs and expectations.
- Build and lead a team that will iteratively develop the product in collaboration with the community.
- After first driving awareness, adoption, and revenue yourself, hire and manage marketing and sales leaders.
- Monitor and analyze critical metrics (initially visits, downloads, usage, and community activity, and eventually conversion rate, incremental revenue, return on investment, cost analysis, return rate, etc.)
- Product planning: compare past and current usage and sales trends to shape future product features. Understand the competition and what feature will drive acquisition and reduce churn.
- Handle the budget for product development and hiring, and eventually sales and marketing.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field.
- Experience in open source software product development.
- Proven communication and leadership skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines, iterate and get results.
- Have initiative, resourcefulness, self-motivation, grit and a high level of ownership.
- Has seen 2x growth year over year in a team or startup in an executive role.
- Degree in computer science is a plus.
- Expertise in the field of data engineering and analytics is a plus.
- Masters degree or PhD in a technical field is a plus.
- Knowledge of GitLab, CI/CD, and Kubernetes is a plus.
- Knowledge of Python and SQL is a plus.
- Leadership at GitLab
- Ability to use GitLab
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity, Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Family and Friends days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.