The Senior Director of People is responsible for overseeing the team member experience throughout their lifecycle with GitLab. This position reports to the Chief People Officer and works closely with the other People Group leads and organizational leaders in shaping the GitLab cultural strategies to support ongoing innovation and change. This individual uses their deep global experience and knowledge of multiple HR areas to enable GitLab’s rapid growth.
The Senior Director, People Success is a grade 11.
- Lead and manage growing People Success teams responsible for the team member experience throughout the team member lifecycle
- Ensure People Success strategies and processes remain aligned with the company’s talent management and workforce plans to enhance team member engagement and sustain business growth
- Apply understanding workforce needs to scale the company while managing costs, staying competitive with total rewards and maintaining a positive team member experience
- Lead Learning & Development initiatives that drive company growth while focusing on company culture, individual development, strengthening our leadership, and organizational learning
- Lead our Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging strategy, plans, and programs
- Assess, identify, and shape People Operations strategy, policy, or process improvements that move the business towards continuous growth and improvement
- Provide leadership, direction, and expertise to ensure standardized practices and documented processes that drive unparalleled team member experience throughout the life cycle at GitLab
- Drive a progressive, proactive, inclusive and positive culture, resulting in increased levels of engagement, enablement, and retention
- Oversee the resolution to team member questions in a proactive and sensitive manner
- Oversee the accuracy, maintenance, and security of team member data and HRIS
- Collaborate with Chief People Officer and other leaders in fostering a culture of empowerment and performance
- Partner closely with Chief People Officer to create a highly talented and engaged People Group; coach and mentor People Group leads
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of local, global, and federal employment laws to proactively ensure compliance with relevant employment practices and regulations
- 8+ years of progressive experience in HR roles with a track record of building and optimizing processes, systems, and structures in a global setting
- 5+ years of international HR operational experience
- 5+ years of experience leading people and cross-functional organizations; experience managing managers is required
- Strategic and innovative thinker; able to prioritize and use sound judgment and decision-making
- Demonstrated track record of owning, executing, and delivering on complex short- and long-term projects across multiple functions
- Executive presence with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong business insight and high EQ to successfully collaborate with executives and business partners at all levels
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Leadership at GitLab
- Ability to use GitLab
- 12 month PIP Success Rate
- 12 month team member retention
- 12 month voluntary team member turnover
- 12 month voluntary team member turnover related to growth
- Discretionary bonus per employee per month
- Engagement Survey Growth and Development Score
- Engagement survey inclusion questions
- New Hire Location Factor
- Pay equality
- Percent of team members over compensation band
- Rate of internal job promotions
- Women in company
- Women in leadership
- Women voluntary attrition
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with one of our Global Recruiters.
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute interview with our Director, People Operations
- After that, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute interview with members of the People Operations and People Partner teams
- After that, candidates will be invited to interview with the VP of Recruiting
- Finally, our CPO may choose to conduct a final interview
The next step in the People Leadership job family is to move to the Chief People Officer job family.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity, Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Family and Friends days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.