Chief Accounting Officer
The Chief Accounting Officer (CAO) leads the accounting function including spanning technical accounting, reporting, and accounting operations. The CAO serves as the Directly Responsible Individual for the financial reporting process and SoX controls as GitLab manages its current growth while preparing the company for operating as a public company. The ideal leader will be able to strike the right balance of controllership and integrity with business practicality. The CAO leads and directs an accounting team capable of dealing with a rapidly growing and changing business environment. Experience leading and scaling a public company accounting team. Experience in software, global operations and managing remote teams is strongly desired.
The Chief Accounting Officer (CAO) is a grade 12.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Manage a globally distributed team whose functions include accounting, accounts payable, payroll, technical accounting, and reporting
- Lead all aspects of accounting operations including month-end close and annual audit
- Develop a high-quality corporate governance environment, introduce and improve policies and procedures, participate and lead relevant portion of Audit Committee meetings, own relationships with auditors
- In partnership with the CFO, serve as the technical accounting decision-maker for the company – implement accounting policies across the organization.
- Manage the accounting budget – establishing the right mix of internal and outside spend and demonstrating innovation in how finance services are delivered
- Implement a control structure that complies with SOX
- Build efficiencies into all aspects of the group’s operations including systems and process.
- Build an effective remote-only team with broad geographical composition comprised of at least half of professional team members from low cost geographies including India, Ireland, Philippines, Hungary, etc.
- Shorten close processes, close financials quarterly and ensure company is in a position to operate on a public record.
- Champion and roll out system enhancements and ensure team is fully maximizing the potential
- Serve on the finance leadership team and collaborate with CFO and fellow leaders on functional and people priorities. Bring to life the team vision to transform the function with technology and the finance skill sets of the future.
- You are an organizational fit for GitLab who shares our Values. You will have a point of view of how to balance the company’s values, particularly transparency with the realities of being a public company.
- You have 20+ years of experience including leading a publicly traded company’s accounting function.
- You have led a startup growth company through the IPO process.
- You have Big Four accounting experience and an active CPA.
- You have a bachelor’s degree (required) with a major in Accounting or Finance preferred.
- You have excellent technical accounting skills with detailed understanding of current GAAP standards
- You have experience with enterprise software, Experience with SaaS a plus.
- You have experience working with accounting and financial reporting systems, and designing and implementing systems and procedures
- You have experience implementing SOX compliance
- You have experience in global tax structures and managing international operations
- You possess outstanding leadership skills with the ability to coach, mentor, and develop others. Ability to motivate teams to produce quality work within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects
- You have business perspective and the ability to have critical judgment.
- You have meticulous attention to detail and analytical thinking
- You have superb time management, decision-making and problem solving skills.
- You are capable of taking initiative, multi-tasking
- You have expert interactive communication and presentation skills with the ability to impact and influence
- You have strong personal integrity with the highest ethical standards
- Ability to use GitLab
- Average days to close
- Number of material audit adjustments = 0
- Average days of sales outstanding
- New hire location factor
- Percentage of ineffective SOX Controls = 0%
Interview team and focus areas for each person
Candidates for this position can expect to interview with future direct reports, the CFO, CEO and at least one board member.
The next step in the CAO job family is to move to the CFO job family.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity, Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Family and Friends days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.