Vice President of Legal
Vice President of Legal
The Vice President of Legal will report directly to the Chief Legal Officer
Vice President of Legal Job Grade
The Vice President of Legal is a grade 12
Vice President of Legal Responsibilities
- Design, build, and lead a high functioning subject matter specific team within the larger Legal & Corporate Affairs team in alignment with GitLab values.
- Provide a deep understanding of broader GitLab strategy and business context to develop strategy, policy, and controls within subject matter area and ensure that the company operates safely and in accordance with good practice at scale.
- Hiring, managing, training, mentoring and retaining their subject matter specific team to bring an ownership mindset to their role; provide clear actionable work product and further solidify a reputation for exemplifying the GitLab Culture of Compliance and the GitLab values.
- Develop and execute on a motivating and strategic vision for the subject matter specific team, including designing data driven OKRs and goals for their team.
- Lead a team that provides cross jurisdictional strategic subject matter specific counsel to team members and leaders across GitLab and E-group on matters of significance.
- Contribute to materials prepared for Board of Directors meetings and Board committee meetings, and as applicable, present relevant materials to the GitLab Board.
- Create a financial plan for their subject matter specific team based on long and short term strategies which influences division-wide budget planning.
- Successfully onboard, coordinate and manage outside counsel resources and associated costs and budgets.
- Demonstrate innovative approaches to leading diverse teams at scale in a fully remote environment.
Vice President of Legal Requirements
- Juris Doctorate / United States law degree and bar admission in at least one state within the United States
- 15+ years combined law firm and/or in-house legal department experience, preferably in a multinational company, with a considerable amount of time dedicated to their area of subject matter expertise
- Demonstrated success hiring, training, managing, developing and retaining a high functioning team of experienced attorneys and legal professionals
- Demonstrated ability to quickly reduce complex principles into actional, easy to understand counsel
- Reasonable approach to assessing and balancing risk on behalf of the company
- Proven emonstrated ability to quickly reduct complex principles into actional counsel
- An ownership mindset of the relevant area(s) of subject matter expertise
- Effectively able to influence and lead cross functional stakeholders to further GitLab’s company strategy
- Excellent problem solving, project management, attention to detail, interpersonal and organizational skills
The Corporate legal team collaborates on matters with clients across GitLab related to corporate governance and securities law compliance and related issues.
The Commercial legal team collaborates with clients across GitLab on a broad range of commercial law matters affecting our global team member base.
Privacy and Product
The Privacy and Product team collaborates with clients across GitLab on a broad range of privacy and product matters.
The Employment legal team collaborates with clients across GitLab on a broad range of employment law matters affecting our global team member base.
Risk Mitigation & Dispute Resolution
Risk Mitigation & Dispute Resolution is responsible for providing counsel and guidance related to litigation, claims, and dispute resolution.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity, Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Family and Friends days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.