UX Fullstack Engineer
Fullstack engineers work across the front- and backend of the the GitLab documentation site and/or product to improve the user experience.
- Develop features and improvements to the documentation site or GitLab product in a secure, well-tested, and performant way.
- Analyze and interpret highly complex data to arrive at actionable recommendations.
- Collaborate with Technical Writing Director and other stakeholders (e.g. UX) to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment.
- Advocate for improvements to site quality, security, and performance.
- Solve technical problems of high scope and complexity.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around specific projects and community contributions.
- Confidently ship small features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
- Ability to use GitLab
- Professional experience with Ruby and Rails
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Ability to use GitLab
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization
- Experience working with modern frontend frameworks (eg. React, Vue.js, Angular)
- Experience in a peak performance organization, preferably a tech startup
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor
- Product company experience
- Experience working with a remote team
- Enterprise software company experience
- Developer platform/tool industry experience
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about/experienced with open source and developer tools
Senior UX Fullstack Engineer
The Senior Fullstack Engineer reports to the Director, Technical Writing.
Senior UX Fullstack Engineer Job Grade
The Senior UX Fullstack Engineer is a grade 7.
Senior UX Fullstack Engineer Responsibilities
- Extends the responsibilities and requirements of the Fullstack Engineer
- Reports into a team member of the User Experience team.
- Performs enhancements to the look-and-feel of the documentation website.
- Helps support the Technical Writing team by answering team member questions and triaging/responding to issues.
- Coordinates with various stakeholders regarding site content or structure changes
- Maintain and improve the CI/CD pipelines, build processes, and review environments
- Improve content-authoring experience and tooling
- Perform and/or coordinate/delegate resolution of any other content sites issues related to infrastructure, code, - architecture, projects, security, CI/CD, builds, deployments, upgrades, performance, scalability, metrics, monitoring, etc
The Senior UX Fullstack Engineer is included in the Technical Writing MR rate.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity, Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Family and Friends days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.