Self-managed Scalability Working Group
This group within GitLab ensure all new customers are set up in a standardized environment that will scales with their needs. Learn more!
|Date Created||May 21, 2019|
|Target End Date||June 23, 2020|
|Slack||#wg_sm-scalability (only accessible from within the company)|
|Google Doc||Self-managed Scalability Working Group Agenda (only accessible from within the company)|
|Issue Board||gitlab-org boards 1131633|
Ensure all new customers are set up in a standardized environment that will scales with their needs. Migrate existing customers to an appropriate reference environment.
Exit Criteria (100%)
- Complete GitLab self-managed performance metrics =>
- Monitoring enabled by default for all large customers (Prometheus, Grafana and all exporters) =>
- Inventory of self-managed customers with scores of their environment =>
100%Scoring system has been defined.
- Migrate one customer to our reference architecture =>
- List of additional needed reference architectures =>
100%We have identified 10K, 25K and 50K and the next immediate need.
- 10,000 user reference architecture =>
- 25,000 user reference architecture =>
- 50,000 user reference architecture =>
- First iteration of a mixed Kubernetes Omnibus architecture =>
- Since we have completed the performance testing, Our reference architecture has been the default starting point for self-managed customers looking to set up HA. This is a significant improvement in efficiency by reducing the time SAs spend helping customers determine the right sizing/setup.
- The performance testing kit has been utilized by prospects who need to prove performance at scale as part of their pre-purchase due diligence. Previously, the customer had to do this on their own, which was time consuming, complicated, and risked the deal moving forward.
Roles and Responsibilities
|Working Group Role||Person||Title|
|Facilitator||Mek Stittri||Director of Quality|
|Support Lead||Aric Buerer||Support Engineer|
|CS Lead||Brian Wald||Solutions Architects Manager|
|Quality Lead||Grant Young||Sr. Software Engineer in Test|
|Development Lead||Matt Nohr||Engineering Manager, Monitor|
|PM Lead||Dov Hershkovitch||Senior Product Manager, Monitor:APM|
|Tech Writing Lead||Achilleas (Axil) Pipinellis||Technical Writer|
|Member||Tom Cooney||Director of Support|
|Member||Francis Potter||Solutions Architect|
|Member||John Woods||CSM Manager|
|Member||Tanya Pazitny||Quality Engineering Manager|
|Member||Andrew Newdigate||Distinguished SRE|
|Member||Nailia Iskhakova||Software Engineer in Test|
|Member||John Skarbek||Senior Site Reliability Engineer, Delivery|
|Member||Jason Plum||Senior Distribution Engineer|
|Member||Vincy Wilson||Quality Engineering Manager|
|Member||Catalin Irimie||Support Engineer|
|Executive Sponsor||Eric Johnson||VP of Engineering|
Last modified September 1, 2023: Fix markdown and display errors for working-group (