Use of Admin Notes
The admin note serves as a quick reference for any account changes or action performed on a GitLab.com namespace. For example, it also helps to determine if the user was previously flagged for any violations to prevent any further abuse.
If you encounter a situation with the following cases, an admin note is required.
- User requested change
- Compute minutes reset
- Legal case
- Security or Abuse case
Adding the Note
Adding an admin note can be done using one of the following methods:
- Admin account
- Navigate to the admin page for the user (
/admin/users/username) or top-level group (
- Add the relevant admin note
- ChatOps (only available for users):
- Find the user to confirm it’s the proper account:
/chatops run user find <username or current email>
- Add the admin note:
/chatops run user note <username or current email> 'admin note here'
In general, the formatting should be standard in a one liner format:
Date | Note | Case | Link
- Action Taken:
Date | Note | Link
Slack conversations or issue links may be used for the link if no ticket is lodged for the type of request.
Viewing the Notes
There are two methods a team member can use to look up admin notes for a particular user:
- If the team member has admin privileges, they can navigate to the admin page for the relevant namespace where the admin note will be present.
- (Users only) Team members can use ChatOps to read admin notes for a particular user via the following command in a Slack channel where the chatops bot has been invited
/chatops run user find <username or email>
2023-01-16 | 2FA removed | user requested | https://gitlab.zendesk.com/agent/tickets/123
Email Address Change/Removal:
2023-01-16 | Primary Email Change - No Access | User Requested | https://gitlab.zendesk.com/agent/tickets/123
2023-01-16 | DMCA Violation | Abuse | https://gitlab.zendesk.com/agent/tickets/123
2023-01-16 | Flagged for terms violation | Abuse Case | https://gitlab.zendesk.com/agent/tickets/123
2023-01-16 | User blocked by infra | https://gitlab.com/gitlab-com/support/internal-requests/issues/441
Name Squatting Rename:
2023-01-16 | Name Squatting Request | https://gitlab.zendesk.com/agent/tickets/123
Compute minutes reset:
2023-01-16 | Compute minutes reset | Bug | https://gitlab.zendesk.com/agent/tickets/123